The packaging team consists of all the people working on the development and packaging of rpm files for our distribution. This page is intended for those who want to get in touch with the packaging or join the packaging team.
How to contact or join the team
- subscribe to the dev mailing-list
- join the irc://irc.freenode.net/#mageia-dev IRC channel
- attend the weekly meeting on #mageia-dev on wednesdays at 19:00 UTC / 21:00 CEST
- see #Resources too
- team council representatives: Michael Scherer (aka misc) and Anne Nicolas (aka ennael)
Joining the packaging team
Everybody interested in becoming an official packager for Mageia will have to go through a mentoring process in order to get this account. Of course the intensity and the time needed for this mentoring process will for a large part depend on your technical experience (both with rpm packaging and the build system used in Mageia). For people who are already packagers in other projects this means that they can have a full packagers account quite quickly. Read more on the Becoming a Mageia Packager page.
- The Pending packages page has information on work that is currently being done. Please include your work and check before doing any new major work to avoid duplication
- development and packaging channel: #mageia-dev on Freenode server
- mentoring channel dedicated to beginners: #mageia-mentoring on Freenode server
- email@example.com: discussions about packaging and developments
- firstname.lastname@example.org: bugzilla mails on all submitted bugs
- email@example.com: all new releases of packages submitted
- firstname.lastname@example.org: all commits on the Mageia subversion (svn) repository
The packaging team has weekly meetings to speak about global organization, upcoming releases, priorities, interactions with other teams, new packagers, etc.
- when: every wednesday at 19:00 UTC / 21:00 CEST
- where: on #mageia-dev on the Freenode IRC-network
- how long: less than 1h (preferably 1/2h) with the exception of the last wednesday of each month where we will have a more extensive one.
Being successful in mentoring will be a priority so that we can rapidly expand the total number of packagers on the team, while at the same time, maintaining a superior level of quality in Mageia. All first packagers will be proposed to mentor new packagers.
Process will have to be finalized to help mentors and make their life easier in all that process:
- Mageia documentation
- RPM packaging training
- build system training
- send all trainee commits to his mentor
See wiki page of Mentoring team
We will start from Mandriva Linux policies to avoid reinventing wheel and clean them if needed.
- Bug Policy - process for handling bug reports for Mageia
- Kernel Patches Policy - kernel patches maintenance and inclusion policies
- DKMS packaging policy - DKMS Packaging Policy
- Initscripts policy - Initscripts
- DrakX policy - Libraries and GUI policy used in DrakXTools
- Fonts packaging policy - Fonts packaging policy
- KDE4 packaging policy - Policies for packaging KDE4 or qt4 related packages
- Web applications policy - Policy for packaging web applications
- Packaging localisation policy - Policy about packaging and localisation
- Packaging for beginners - A page explaining packaging
- Packaging hints - A sort of FAQ or "don't forget" page about packaging
- Policies review - An overview of all policies and progress on them
- Sensitive packages - a list of packages that should not be updated without asking first
For a full list of all policies, see Category:Policies.