Here is the third alpha of Mageia 4 (released on Oct. 2d). This is alpha software. This means, it is NOT:
- for daily use,
- for any kind of productive use,
- for writing any kinds of reviews.
It is a testing release for finding bugs, to look out for important missing packages, a platform for further development leading to the beta stage and finally our first official release planned in February 2014. More info about Mageia 4 Development.
- 1 Download it
- 2 Major new features
- 3 Known issues
- 2 DVDs 32 and 64 bits
- md5: 553db7f79eaf792bc0b7f2f4f4fe22cf
- sha1: 44f706e399d3e879fd3744008877be5263421cae
- md5: e73d91f74fc1c3de08ae918d4582a7ef
- sha1: 7512a89c977519be012f0aa62c10754a84f69782
- dual arch CD: one single iso with both 32 and 64bits
- md5: 2db6ef011499c8c46396029590b8cdd7
- sha1: 91aa1d7ea563afedc7751b3518923ee783472122
- 2 Live CDs 32bits only in English
- md5: 36f57f33836ec09d23ef8257417e68e3
- sha1: 57f60a30057f146beffe0d9609db4a205226a65d
- md5: a565335f0272a3aada1d989a5b52248c
- sha1: d98babe63f24fb0ecf540f257d8f127a1ea805a5
- 4 LiveDVDs (32 and 64bits) multilingual
- md5: bfa59fba0c60c642e54ab2f41601f22e
- sha1: a1d78547c5843e09a8f4c38b8383a200865df37d
- md5: 9d543393f54d69f4ab7240891bd5e772
- sha1: e8bb489978b8fd0efea1c6cb2ac4d715ba114ca7
- md5: 1312cc0274fa0c2c783c24cbd7d8324d
- sha1: 9e10e9403b1f39c7ec14177d112db0323aeb4b92
- md5: 5f8fbaa5ddb8c01ee2cd388a6eb6a418
- sha1: fd3bd9154b35c7cceb524489edb0ddf24987efc0
Major new features
- Work was done on RAID management during installation. This was quite buggy in previous releases and should now be usable at last.
RPM has been upgraded to 4.11.0
- Mageia 4 Alpha 3 ships with kernel 3.11.2
- Mageia 4 Alpha 3 comes with systemd 207
- Mageia 4 Alpha 3 still comes with GRUB as a default. But we also provide GRUB2.
- Perl has been upgraded to 5.18.1
Network interfaces naming scheme
- Mageia has switched to the network interface naming scheme available in systemd v197+ to ensure they are predictable.
MageiaWelcome is now proposed as a default when opening a session in graphical environments. The main goal is to help new comers on Mageia but also give some information about the community and the project.
- KDE 4.11.1 (stable release) is now available in alpha 3. Updating after installation will allow you to get 4.11.2 as it was released too late to be included in alpha3
- KDE screen management: we are now using kscreen as the tool to manage screen
- Qt 4.8.5
GNOME environment is also provided. currently 3.10.0.
Mate is now inside the repositories.
Cinnamon is now inside the repositories.
- Alpha 3 comes with Libreoffice 22.214.171.124
- Mono 3.2.1
- Monodevelop 4.0.9
- Gambas3 3.4.2
Artwork and design
New artwork is not yet integrated in this early stage of Mageia 4.
See Errata page
You can find our bugzilla here, but please read the Errata before reporting any bugs. If you don't already have a Mageia account, you can create one on https://identity.mageia.org/. If you don't know, see how to report a bug.