Cinnamon is a fork of Gnome 3
It provides an intuitive and attractive desktop to Linux users using traditional metaphors. It is actively maintained and already provided by LinuxMint, OpenSuse and Fedora officially. With release of version 1.8.0 all conflicts with GNOME 3 should be fixed.
- Email:joequant gmail dot com
- Targeted release: Mageia 4 - Cinnamon Desktop version 1.9 or later
- Last updated: 31/05/2013
- Percentage of completion: Creating specfiles, patches etc. on Mageia 3 Cauldron: <100>% (Needs to be reviewed)
Cinnamon is a good alternative for those who want a traditional desktop, being forked from gnome 3 it should offer a less demanding resources which improves the performance of the environment. It is also being actively developed by a team that is very open to suggestions and patches.
Cinnamon is also intended (and does a good job) of being a minimal alternative to gnome 3.
In Mageia 3, this was not included because of introspection conflicts with Gnome 3. This has been fixed upstream.
Keeping this package synced with upstream should not take much developer effort. Syncing the package with Gnome changes is being done upstream, and there is an active upstream community in which one packager (joequant) has been working with. The code changes to integrate upstream cinnamon with mageia have already been made, and cinnamon already has a packager that is pulling down upstream fixes.
Software / Packages Dependencies
All dependencies are provided by Mageia Official Repositories to build Cinnamon Desktop.
Main dependencies for Cinnamon Desktop packaging are:
The cinnamon desktop can be imported with
What could disrupt development of this new feature
Currently nothing. See below:
- There is current conflicts with GNOME or other DEs.
- Cinnamon was dropped in for Mageia 3 because of a symbol conflict with the gnome packages. This conflict has been fixed upstream
- Upstream is very active and very responsive.
- Cinnamon code is *very* nice
- Cinnamon is already in official repositories of Fedora, OpenSuse, OpenMandriva, Linux Mint, Slackware etc. More
|Add feature proposal for Mageia 4||%100|
|Create packages based on Fedora, OpenSuse, Mandriva rpms||%100 (unofficial builds for Mageia3)|
|Provide packages for community testing||%100|
|Announce this proposal at dev-mailing list and advertise||%100|
|If proposal accepted push packages to svn||%0|
|Should be ready for first Mageia 4 Alpha||%0|