Where are the configuration tools?
The green marks are for Mageia tools and the red ones for LXQt tools.
- 1: Mageia net applet, it is visible if you are connected to a network. It gives you network information when the mouse is hovering on it. A left click gives access to the Net Center. A right click display a menu to manage the network.
- 2: The tool Install & Remove Software is also part of the MCC. See here for more information about the Software Management, or here.
- 3: The Mageia Control Center (MCC) is where all the Mageia tools are brought together. The applets marker 1 and marker 2 use the MCC. See here for more information about the MCC. The MCC is the same for all the Desktop Environments. The first thing to do after an installation is to open the MCC and to configure the media sources see here
- 4: Access to the menu and to the logout and power off
- 5: The LXQt Configuration Center, allows you to set the entire LXQt environment (window theme, icon theme, desktop configuration etc.)
Details of the configuration tools
With the configuration tools you can among other things:
- 1: Appearance allows you to configure the icon theme, the LXQt theme, the widget style, etc.
- 2: Window Manager OpenBox allows you to manage window themes (color, font, margins, moves, etc.)
- 3: Screen settings allows you to manage the settings of the screen(s) connected to the PC video output.
- 4: Window effects allows you to change the transparency settings of the windows with the Compton/Picom tool.
- 5: LXQt session setter this parameter is used to manage automatic program launches by session and users. It also allows you to choose the window manager, and in particular to replace Openbox by Kwin.
Most of the parameter names speak for themselves, we leave you free to discover them. You can also refer to this video presenting the LXQt environment..
If you want to keep the same transparency settings as used in Mageia 7 you should do the following:
Rename ~/.config/compton.conf to picom.conf, and disable the lines (separating them with a #) starting with :
- clear shadow,
Set the vsync line to "false": vsync = false; and replace the whole line starting with glx-swap-method by use-damage = true;.
In all cases, whether you are upgrading from Mageia 7 to 8 or on a new installation, Picom does not launch at startup.
If you want to activate it, you must go to Mageia -> Accessories -> picom.
To make Picom start automatically at login : LXQt Control Center -> LXQt Settings -> Session Settings -> Autostart -> Add Name: Picom, Command : picom.