This Page is also available in german.
Here is the third beta of Mageia 5 (released on Feb. 13rd). We decided to add a third one as we are still facing critical bugs especially in installer and for EFI support. This is beta software. This means, it is NOT:
- for daily use,
- for any kind of productive use,
- for writing any kinds of reviews.
It is a testing release for finding bugs, to look out for important missing packages, a platform for further development leading to the beta stage and finally our first official release planned in December 2014. More info about Mageia 5 Development.
- 1 Release Notes
- 2 Download it
- 3 Major new features
- 3.1 Installation
- 3.2 Package management
- 3.3 Base system
- 3.4 Graphical environments
- 3.5 Office apps
- 3.6 Games
- 3.7 Education
- 3.8 Software Development
- 3.9 Artwork and design
- 4 Known issues
- 5 Dropped packages
- 6 Upgrading from Mageia 4
- 2 DVDs 32 and 64 bits
- md5: f7f03fe07a3dcf0a3b78ba8549e36bea
- sha1: 9140e4f5fd5a122ae9e4e740d1d265e0d792df17
- md5: fbaf1c536c9d2ab113c2c386860638c9
- sha1: 28e40c8562ec615063038c4d5b7dfd05feb0a4e7
- dual arch DVD: one single iso with both 32 and 64bits
- md5: ac89c6abb31afd7726c0824ae98c8024
- sha1: 1a7c7259e7ab227d7ad3cedf6b1f2e57a4603bf6
- 2 Live CDs 32bits only in English
- md5: 6061bc066401d4a25d2c2311412832a9
- sha1: b8e85bb502b2079a9a28235456731b8a8b9c2c59
- md5: bc8024035d630162f1006f092bfb53a9
- sha1: cf44719924a82c78cb035d98cb8bc6d856f5691e
- 4 LiveDVDs (32 and 64bits) multilingual
- md5: 93912633dc3543cbe1dd4b87342e5e0d
- sha1: 0be3412fd23e8a513b3ffa9ee6c5076c110902f5
- md5: b865f5fb8666329f4b1e365b4b2dabff
- sha1: b5a518eedf0cd9bc751613c527c0ac0373abe387
- md5: f38ab22150ddff05fd2dbc8dc07edeb2
- sha1: 1d60b976726bc3c9c41a3fe876ea740be5052bec
- md5: ade4a69871acbf72b5a24298c56c478f
- sha1: 50900eb89c7a9db74e07961194b0e8e2c41771b2
Major new features
New integration of EFI management is now done. You should be able to boot using Live 64 or DVD64 (classical installer)
Other desktops choice has been removed from iso and installer as isos size is growing a lot. You can still install from public repositories.
RPM has been updated to version 18.104.22.168.
Beta 3 comes with kernel 3.19.0
Beta 3 comes with systemd 217.8.
Beta 3 comes with perl 5.20.1.
Users account UIDs are now starting from 1000 instead of 500 previously. System users will be from 1 to 999. There may be some side effects for now that will be fixed before final release.
KDE 4.14.3 is now available in beta 3.
Qt 4.8.6 and 5.4.0. KF5/Plasma is also in the cauldron repositories, you can check the task-plasma5 metapackage.
GNOME environment is also provided. currently 3.14.3.
LXQt and LXDE
LXQt is the successor of RazorQt. It looks the similar but adds a lot of desktop features. Most of the applications come from LXDE and were ported to Qt. RazorQt has been obsoleted, and people will get LXQt after an upgrade to Mageia 5.
LXDE is still maintained upstream though most of the resources have migrated to LXQt, and we will continue to provide it in Mageia 5, in a refreshed version.
Mate Desktop 1.8.0 is available with Beta 3.
Cinnamon is available in version 2.4.5.
Beta 3 comes with Libreoffice 22.214.171.124
- 0 A.D. Alpha 17 "Quercus"
- Flightgear has reached 3.2 version, with cloud shadows on the ground.
- Minetest 0.4.10
- Tales of Maj'Eyal 1.2.4
- UFO: Alien Invasion 2.5
- Valyria Tear 1.0
New in Mageia 5
- Lutris: Open gaming platform for Linux, which lets you install and manage your games in a unified interface.
- Vapor: Open gaming platform for games developed with the LÖVE framework.
- Stunt Rally 2.5
- Too many new packages to list them all, see the comparison page on Mageia App Db.
Sugar learning platform was updated to release 100. Just install the task-sugar metapackage to get everything.
Kdevelop now comes with collaborative editing.
Artwork and design
Most of the design is now integrated. We are missing still KDE splash which is in progress. Please check there is no side effect apart from the already known bugs (see errata)
See Errata page
- metasploit can be easily installed
If not done yet, you can confirm or invalidate the currently reported (by the QA or other people) bugs: (see here )
You can find our bugzilla here, but please read the Errata before reporting any bugs. If you don't already have a Mageia account, you can create one on https://identity.mageia.org/. If you don't know, see how to report a bug.
Upgrading from Mageia 4
The ability to perform an automated upgrade from Mageia 4 is available, but may still need tweaking.
Upgrading online, using urpmi (CLI)
- Remove all of the existing media sources on your system by executing this command as root in terminal:
- urpmi.removemedia -a
- Add the Mageia online sources, either:
- Using the MIRRORLIST method (which will select a mirror automatically based on your geographical location):
- urpmi.addmedia --distrib --mirrorlist http://mirrors.mageia.org/api/mageia.cauldron.$ARCH.list
- (Where $ARCH is either i586 or x86_64)
- Using a specific media mirror:
- urpmi.addmedia --distrib <mirror_url>
- You can get the mirror_url using the Mageia mirrors web application
- Finally start upgrading:
- urpmi --replacefiles --auto-update --auto
- It's best to run the above command twice as in the first run some packages may be downloaded but not installed.
Using the Mageia 5 DVD to Upgrade
You can use the Mageia 5 DVD to do clean installs, but it can also be used to upgrade from previous releases.
- Download the ISO from the Mageia download page and burn it on a DVD, or dump it on a USB stick, for more details have a look at Available installation media article
- Boot the DVD and select "Install Mageia 5" from the GRUB (the bootloader) menu
- Select the upgrade option.
Also check our current bugs in the bugzilla.