Here is the third alpha of Mageia 2 (due on Jan. 12th). This is alpha software. This means, it is NOT:
- for daily use,
- for any kind of productive use,
- for writing any kinds of reviews.
It is a testing release for finding bugs, to look out for important missing packages, a platform for further development leading to the beta stage and finally our first official release planned in May. More info about Mageia 2 development.
- 1 Download it
- 2 Major new features
- 2.1 Installation
- 2.2 Base system
- 2.3 Graphical environments
- 2.4 Multimedia
- 2.5 Text Editors
- 2.6 Databases
- 2.7 Science
- 2.8 Server
- 2.9 Web
- 2.10 Development
- 2.11 Artwork and design
- 2.12 Games
- 2.13 Network & Internet
- 3 Known issues
- 4 Tests wanted!
- 5 Bug reporting
- 6 Planning
- 2 DVDs 32 and 64 bits
- md5: 5d20cd68102307fa9d83d3dc6f195a13
- sha1: 75a6222352bd78179d46ad9c2b803d24973c3b71
- md5: baae059090920310086b44bd0cca7c71
- sha1: 3ac28c8e3bc5d7a7fe78169196119a1cd6d0f6b1
- 100% free software inside, classical installer
- 3 main graphical environments (KDE, GNOME, LXDE) - e17 has been added on isos for Alpha3
- content will be added in coming releases depending on reports
- dual arch CD: not available for now - due to systemd migration, some work is left to decrease the iso size so as to make it usable
- 10 live CDs: how to choose the right one
- pick up your environment: KDE or GNOME
- pick up your language among 62 available
- pick up the right architecture: 32 or 64 bits (new for this release!) - all languages not available yet
- All live CDs isos:
Upload of live CDs isos is a bit delayed. Update of build iso tool (aka Draklive) is taking more time than planned because of dracut migration.
Major new features
Mageia 2 alpha 3 currently ships with the latest stable release of kernel 3.2, but the actual release will be shipped with 3.3+. Amongst numerous bugfixes and features, the new kernel offers support for improved virtualisation with Xen native support, improved performance and a new subsystem such as a new iscsi stack or NFC, and better security with the Tomoyo framework.
Mageia 2 alpha 3 ships with stable glibc 2.14.1.
Following the standardisation effort going on in other distributions, Mageia has decided to adopt systemd for booting. This would lead to a simpler boot process, and easier maintenance. More details can be found on the systemd website. The option of keeping the current init system will be offered for people who prefer to wait a little and switch with a next release.
The nomachine nx libraries for remote server applications are included in version 3.5.0
Mageia 2 alpha3 ships with KDE 4.7.97 with the target of reaching 4.8.x for final release.
Mageia 2 alpha3 ships with Gnome 3.3.3 with the target of reaching 3.4.x for final release.
Mageia 2 comes with the most up to date LXDE packages, including Pcmanfm 0.0.10
Sugar 0.95 is in the repository (bug 1969)
In addition to the "big" desktop environments, Mageia 2 ships a wide asortment of window managers:
- the tiling wms dwm, scrotwm, i3
- enlightenment (e17)
- Pencil-Planner 0.4.4b: a traditional animation software
- Amarok music player 2.5beta1
- Cantata music player 0.1.2
Mageia2 ships a variety of video players and video editing tools:
- kdenlive video editor 0.8.2.1
- mplayer (including the GUIs gnome-mplayer, kmplayer, mplayer-gui and smplayer)
- xine (including the GUIs kaffeine and xine-ui)
- acetoneiso 2.3: CD/DVD Image Manipulator
- kanyremote 5.13: KDE frontend for anyRemote Wireless remote control program
- kid3 2.0.1: ID3 Tagger
- konvertible 1.0.1: A simple KDE audio converter
- koverartist 0.7.6: Program for the fast creation of covers for cd/dvd cases and boxes
- marave 0.7: A text editor that helps you focus on writing
- Mageia 2 alpha3 ships a pre-release of MariaDB 5.5 obsoleting MySQL with the target of reaching 5.5.x for final release (there is a helper package called mysql-MariaDB).
- innodb storage engine is replaced by XtraDB storage engine, but it's still called innodb internally, so your tuning parameters will still work.
- Federated storage engine is replaced by FederatedX storage engine, but it's still called federated internally, so your tuning parameters will still work.
- There are also some extra storage engines: feedback, pbxt, sphinx, oqgraph
- Mageia 2 alpha3 ships three branches of postgresql for users convenience so the user won't be forced to upgrade his databases:
- geos 3.3.1
- gdal 1.8.1
- umn mapserver 6.0.1
- qgis 1.7.2
- postgis 1.5.3
- apache 2.2.21
- postfix 2.8.6
- drupal 7.10
- mediawiki 1.16.5
Compilers / Interpreters
The Gnu compiler collection ( gcc ) has been updated to the 4.6 branch, offering native support of Go, and improving support of the next c++ standard C++0x. Numerous optimisations have been added.
- gcc 4.6.2
- python 2.7.2 and 3.2.2
- perl 5.14.2
- ruby 1.8.7
- rails 2.3.14
- php 5.3.9 RC4
- smarty 2.6.26 and 3.1.5
- java openjdk-184.108.40.206 and sun-220.127.116.11
- eclipse 3.7.1
- netbeans 7.0.1
- anjuta 3.3.2
- ninja-ide Python IDE 2.0
- bless hexadecimal editor 0.6
Artwork and design
Mageia 2 comes with all major open-source games. You can install them all with the meta-package task-games.
It also brings a very easy way to install the not open-source data for some games : it is downloaded at first launch.
First Person Shooter games
- ioQuake3 1.36 game engine
- Quake III Arena demo (using ioquake3 engine)
- Smokin' Guns 1.0 (using ioquake3 engine)
- World of Padman 1.5 (using ioquake3 engine)
- Urban Terror 4.1.1 (using ioquake3 engine)
The following games have non free data and can be found on the nonfree repository:
- AssaultCube 18.104.22.168
- Sauerbraten 2010_07_28 Justice Edition
- urtsb 0.4: Game Server Browser for the FPS Urban Terror
- urtconnector 0.7: Advanced UrbanTerror launcher program
Network & Internet
- kvirc 4.1.3: IRC Chat client
- Claws mail
- nmapsi4 0.3: Complete Qt4-based Gui to provide a complete nmap interface
- kwooty 0.8.0: A friendly nzb Usenet binary downloader
See Errata page
This alpha release should allow us to focus on following items:
- hardware detection
- boot process
- ISOs content, missing packages or firmwares (in the LiveCDs)
- default content for graphical environment (KDE, GNOME, LXDE)
- filtering out references to Mageia 1 and Mandriva (!)
- help to debug the new ldetect, see this thread.
For full testing procedures please find more information through the QA Team portal
TODO/ to check Alpha 3 planning to release isos
|When||Targetting||What to be done|
|2012/01/06||local freeze of repository to start building isos||Check media consistency (deps, missing ; finalize major changes to be included in alpha 3 isos (please add in list below in major new feature)|
|2012/01/06 to 2012/01/11||build and QA tests||link to QA page: who will do what and when, reports to release manager...|
|2012/01/11||prepare and write announcement for isos||spread news and ask for tests|
|2012/01/12||public release for alpha3 isos||triage team ready to help and tag reports so that both packagers and testers can have proper feedbacks|