Diskdrake slight redesign to have a unified partitioner/mountpoint changer/installer locations. To also allow network locations to appear next to all the disks. ie: NFS/iSCSI/AoE/drbd/...
- Name: AL13N
- Email: email@example.com
- Diskdrake developers
- Installer developers
- AL13N can test and spend a small bit of time on this
- Targeted release: Mageia 3/Mageia 4
- Last updated: 2021/07/24
- Percentage of completion: 0%
Basic mode needs the following:
- Rescan button: to allow to rescan for partitions/disks
- if there is no partition media, don't abort, but show the message instead of the disks (because people can click on rescan or on advanced)
- installer or readonly media should be shown as well (to allow setting mount points)
Advanced mode needs the following:
- a sort of wizard to add network-based media (iSCSI, NFS, AoE, drbd, ...)
- these other (networkbased) media, could be shown as tabs (just like disks)
- allow installation on NFS, If time allows (or this is for mageia4)
With an NFS install, i mean the following example:
- imagine a network PXE installer
- imaging a diskless system
- imaging booting from PXE to start mageia installer (ON the diskless system)
- in advanced mode in diskdrake installer: adding NFS server and selecting a directory
- that directory appears now in a tab
- select as mount point /
- instead of formatting, delete all files in that directory (if there are any)
- then the diskless system can boot from PXE+NFS
Why it would be good for Mageia to include it
- allows to have a single app(installer step) to have all mount points/partitioning/formatting.
- allows to use network-based storage to install to (iSCSI, NFS, AoE, drbd, etc...)
- have also future possibilities of installer, like installing on an NFS share.
Software / Packages Dependencies
What could disrupt development of this new feature
work needed to complete this (documentation, keeping automatic installations working)
- Remove the abort if no disks are found and show the error text in the next screen instead of disks.
- Implement the rescan button, which can rescan after you've put in USB disks, or hotplug disks etc...
- Show all storage devices found (grey out the readonly ones)
- check if you can set moint points for everything
- In advanced mode, make a wizard to add manually network-based storage
- test with iSCSI, NFS, drbd, AoE
mga4 (or if enough time also mga3)
- If enough time allows, try to use this to test with an NFS install.
If it doens't work as advertised, we can revert back to old diskdrake.