A GUI tool is needed for writing ISO images on USB sticks. Other distributions have their own tool, but are not always adapted for Mageia ISOs. This tools could be integrated in drakxTools.
- Name: papoteur
- Email: yves dot brungard_mageia at gadz dot org
Developpers in python and/or perl for integration in MCC
I can manage the python part.
- Akien (i18n, atelier, QA, basic python skills)
- Targeted release: Mageia 4
- Last updated: 2013/09/06
- Percentage of completion: 100%
I have found that usb-imagewriter is interesting for that. I hacked it as IsoDumper to change the banner, to direct writing without dd command, to dispay the progression and writing log file and to detect .iso files in addition of .img. It is written in Python and uses Glade/GTK as GUI libraries.
A demonstration version is available as for mga3 package .
Other tools are available:
- SUSE Studio ImageWriter : C++/QT4 Available also as Windows version.
- http://www.ody.ca/~dwhodgins/copyiso2usb and http://www.ody.ca/~dwhodgins/copyiso2usbX are works in progress, using bash, dialog,
and Xdialog, as well as gettext for translation, with the intention of creating a Mageia package.
Why it would be good for Mageia to include it
A new feature in MCC, which is often needed.
Anything useful for QA and all testers to help debugging during all development cycle
Software / Packages Dependencies
The GUI has been rewritten with libyui graphical libraries, which allows to have GTk, QT and ncurses lib. This release landed in Mageia 6.
What could disrupt development of this new feature
Mageia can prefer to have an integrated tool in perl/Gtk, which is possible, but need more work.
IsoDumper is yet available on http://gitweb.mageia.org/software/isodumper/