Package rEFInd for Mageia and add support for it in the installer and drakboot.
- Name: Martin Whitaker (martinw)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
I can do all the necessary development work.
- Targeted release: Mageia 7
- Last updated: 2017/09/15
- Percentage of completion: 50%
rEFInd is a graphical boot manager for UEFI machines. It can be used as an alternative for GRUB2. It's main distinguishing features are:
- a more graphical user interface (uses icons for boot selection)
- automatically detects bootable images and regenerates the boot menu each time you boot
- includes bootable DVDs or USB sticks, as and when they are inserted (a boon when testing ISOs!)
Why it would be good for Mageia to include it
- Choice is good.
- Many other distros include it (Fedora, OpenSuse, Debian, Arch, to name a few).
- It provides an alternative in cases where os-prober doesn't work well.
- Both I and several other Mageia users already use it.
Software / Packages Dependencies
Requires efibootmgr during installation.
What could disrupt development of this new feature
This feature should be independent of any other development.
I created a set of patches to allow the drakx tools to support this a while ago (see attachments to bug 15153). These need to be updated due to changes in the drakx tools since then.
The upstream rEFInd SRPM will need to be imported and adapted to comply with Mageia packaging policy.
A simple user's guide will need to be written for the Mageia Wiki (the upstream documentation is very comprehensive, but probably a bit daunting to a new user).
Don't include it.