The goal is to rebuild every single Mageia package, regardless of content, preferably after version freeze (January 09, 2013)
- Name: Thomas Backlund
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Packagers fixing up broken builds / dropping obsolete packages.
- Targeted release: Mageia 3
- Last updated: 2013/01/21
- Percentage of completion: 97.4%
During Mageia 2 beta/RC cycle we found several packages that didn't work or build anymore due to basesystem and toolchain updates, wich lead to a lot of time spent trying to do "last minute fixes", and also makes doing updates on a stable release more painful than needed.
In order to improve the quality of upcoming Mageia 3, we need to do this rebuild early to have time to properly find and fix bugs introduced with new basesystem and toolchain, and to clean out old stuff from repos.
The reasons so far for needing full rebuild:
- GLIBC 2.17
- GCC 4.7
- RPM / rpm-setup (macros, flags, deps, updated auto-provides/requires generation, xz payload, ...)
- %_libexecdir points to %_prefix/libexec (like fedora)
- enabled MiniDebugInfo (support added by tv, see: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/MiniDebugInfo): +0.5% of packages size
Why it would be good for Mageia to include it
- Improve quality of Mageia 3.
- Improved post product support (bug + secfix－ updates) wont need to spend time on fixing stuff that should already work.
Check that rebuilt packages still work.
Software / Packages Dependencies
What could disrupt development of this new feature
Check that we have all toolchain, compiler flags and rpm macros defined as planned.
None. Everything needs to be rebuilt.
Mageia 3 is completely rebuilt with new toolchain.