- 1 Summary
- 2 Owner
- 3 Resources
- 4 Current status
- 5 Detailed Description
- 6 Why it would be good for Mageia to do it
- 7 Test case
- 8 Tasks
- 9 Software / Packages Dependencies
- 10 What could disrupt development of this new feature
- 11 Planning
- 12 Contingency
- 13 Release Notes
- 14 Documentation
- 15 Packager comments
Centralize the Mageia branding into a few known packages in Mageia 7.
- Name: Neal Gompa
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
This will require packagers and the atelier team to reorganize things so branding is centralized into a few known packages.
- Targeted release: Mageia 7
- Last updated: 2017/09/19
- Percentage of completion: 0%
Currently, our branding content is scattered over several packages, some merged in with upstream software packages, and some in Mageia-only software packages. It's hard to find all the branding, which makes it difficult for people to consider using Mageia to build derivatives or flavors. By simplifying and centralizing the branding into a few known packages, it makes it much easier for people to replace for when they want to make their own distribution derived from Mageia.
Why it would be good for Mageia to do it
This helps make it easier for people to build variants, editions, flavors, or derivatives from Mageia code and packages, which would help improve the usefulness of Mageia as a distribution for personal and commercial use.
To be determined...
- Centralize instances of the Mageia logos into a
- Split out Mageia branding subpackages into their own source packages from other things (grub2, etc.)
- If possible, move branding for installer, MCC, etc. into its own package
- Create virtual Provides / Requires relationships across all branding packages to allow easily swapping them
- Optionally, create generic unbranded variants for people to swap to
Software / Packages Dependencies
What could disrupt development of this new feature
If we can't get everything changed, this feature will not be able to be completed.
This should happen as soon as possible to get the widest array of testing.
If this fails to be ready for Mageia 7, then we revert this and try again for Mageia 8.