Allow users to get notifications and install easily new versions for backports they installed (and possibly any package in a user-defined list). Only way to get security updates to backports pushed to users.
- Name: Samuel Verschelde
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To be found.
- Targeted release: the sooner the better, ideally Mageia 1 and 2 could benefit from it too
- Last updated: 2021/09/28
- Percentage of completion: <XX>%
(it can be a new applet, but probably will be an improvement over existing mgaonline and MageiaUpdate rather than a new tool)
This applet would check for newer backports for (depending on user choice) :
- all installed packages (=same behaviour as mgaonline for updates)
- except some packages (user-defined black-list)
- packages installed from backports or backports_testing media (we currently don't store package provenance, but that could be any package with higher version than that in release/updates, or absent from them. Potentially interesting side-effect, would propose backport upgrade for packages installed from third party)
- packages explicitly listed by the user
Then an equivalent to MageiaUpdate would allow to install the backports. Nice to have, possibility to check a "don't notify me anymore of new backports of PACKAGENAME" for each package listed.
This feature will need more complete specifications taking into account all technical issues related to urpmi, rpmdrake, mgaonline and MageiaUpdate.
Why it would be good for Mageia to include it
Our backports policy implies there must be security updates for backported packages. Such an applet would allow users to be notified of new updates and so improve overall security.
It would be also convenient for users to get notifications when a backported package they use got a new version.
Can be provided if the feature is accepted and has developers on it.
Software / Packages Dependencies
What could disrupt development of this new feature
I don't know if there's a plan B. I think this is really needed to comply with our backport support policy.
TODO when will be developed.