This Page is also available in german.
Here is the first beta of Mageia 5 (released on Nov. 11th). This is beta software. This means, it is NOT:
- for daily use,
- for any kind of productive use,
- for writing any kinds of reviews.
It is a testing release for finding bugs, to look out for important missing packages, a platform for further development leading to the beta stage and finally our first official release planned in December 2014. More info about Mageia 5 Development.
- 1 Download it
- 2 Major new features
- 3 Known issues
- 4 Dropped packages
- 2 DVDs 32 and 64 bits
- md5: e6aac41dc3b011aac8bd3f4699add333
- sha1: 591ae27f2e2da252258a0e1301b80ebad153e8c9
- md5: 7d936175841af975ca3cb64fa90b252f
- sha1: 875a71e94ad3a4f9ba119998f60a2032557d9e58
- dual arch DVD: one single iso with both 32 and 64bits
- md5: feb9789303ef955628affd2331eb3b2a
- sha1: ca5314d100d21b64d5cd8d7d26012831fe97bb04
- 2 Live CDs 32bits only in English
- md5: 121f10de861a7d79fa24572c81a5650a
- sha1: 6d68e308eb6509044fee2955029457619da393ba
- md5: 8cac0f907d95fd65b32366fe498e3b65
- sha1: 8533d22c2c10738cd5ca6b9b3b9c37b284594c8b
- 4 LiveDVDs (32 and 64bits) multilingual
- md5: 1ec847c0b7e55d9d69c4b43d0f2a71f1
- sha1: 12c89d108c67b68c273a2607dab1e773d69e7687
- md5: 3fd8df8dab5d24af5575a07881424553
- sha1: 583193d6285d3c0209896ea3da9e1da0018f7a54
- md5: 846b119ca74575e736cf488ba126373e
- sha1: 22c9fa3b8784709eb714c013a5838e9272557d42
- md5: c819afa046acf74014e299ef006ebf36
- sha1: 7929729a93f55f2b990a390b14043f7b5ff8c7c1
Major new features
RPM has been updated to version 184.108.40.206.
Beta 1 comes with kernel 3.17.2.
Beta 1 comes with systemd 217.
Beta 1 comes with perl 5.20.1.
Users account UIDs are now starting from 1000 instead of 500 previously. System users will be from 1 to 999. There may be some side effects for now that will be fixed before final release.
KDE 4.14.2 is now available in beta 1.
Qt 4.8.6 and 5.3.1. KF5/Plasma is also in the cauldron repositories, you can check the task-plasma5 metapackage.
GNOME environment is also provided. currently 3.14.
LXQt and LXDE
LXQt is the successor of RazorQt. It looks the similar but adds a lot of desktop features. Most of the applications come from LXDE and were ported to Qt. RazorQt has been obsoleted, and people will get LXQt after an upgrade to Mageia 5.
LXDE is still maintained upstream though most of the resources have migrated to LXQt, and we will continue to provide it in Mageia 5, in a refreshed version.
Mate Desktop 1.8.1 is available with Beta 1.
Cinnamon is available in version 2.2.
Beta 1 comes with Libreoffice 4.3.3
- 0 A.D. Alpha 17 "Quercus"
- Flightgear has reached 3.2 version, with cloud shadows on the ground.
- Minetest 0.4.10
- Tales of Maj'Eyal 1.2.4
- Valyria Tear 1.0
New in Mageia 5
- Lutris: Open gaming platform for Linux, which lets you install and manage your games in a unified interface.
- Vapor: Open gaming platform for games developed with the LÖVE framework.
- Stunt Rally 2.5
- Too many new packages to list them all, see the comparison page on Mageia App Db.
Sugar learning platform was updated to release 100. Just install the task-sugar metapackage to get everything.
Kdevelop now comes with collaborative editing.
Artwork and design
New artwork is not yet integrated but is WIP.
See Errata page
- metasploit can be easily installed
If not done yet, you can confirm or invalidate the currently reported (by the QA or other people) bugs: (see here )
You can find our bugzilla here, but please read the Errata before reporting any bugs. If you don't already have a Mageia account, you can create one on https://identity.mageia.org/. If you don't know, see how to report a bug.