This Page is also available in german.
Here is the Release Candidate (RC) of Mageia 5 (released on Apr. 26th). Release Candidate software is software that has graduated Beta testing, and should be a release-ready product suitable for advanced users and reviewers. However, beginning users and critical-applications users may wish to wait for the final release.
The RC is a test release to identify any remaining bugs or missing packages, in anticipation of the official release planned for May 2015. More info about Mageia 5 Development.
- 1 Release Notes
- 2 Download it
- 3 Major new features
- 3.1 Installation
- 3.2 Package management
- 3.3 Base system
- 3.4 Graphical environments
- 3.5 Office apps
- 3.6 Games
- 3.7 Education
- 3.8 Software Development
- 3.9 Artwork and design
- 4 Known issues
- 5 Dropped packages
- 6 Upgrading from Mageia 4
- 2 DVDs 32 and 64 bits
- md5: 1c92e633ffbcbaf49446aa418d92ae46
- sha1: 89587781764494bdd29d99daf674ca0e0ce6296a
- md5: f29f810208def3fb3e360d64bb11072d
- sha1: da73189f93bc48770a30c341e95a4579d44f5ba5
- dual arch DVD: one single iso with both 32 and 64bits
- md5: fc0c8957783f65e509843bf1d91b12e1
- 2 Live CDs 32bits only in English
- md5: 19ca02c71098d179c81701d11cf7c183
- sha1: 4fa56a3af642af2685756745142c71be3fc63226
- md5: 658c1e008a9188bb137a8c2c21395b0f
- sha1: ab1995aba8b0baf77a890eb2c044eae48cd9db51
- 4 LiveDVDs (32 and 64bits) multilingual
- md5: 0e8f64ced1ce0e797d200c51d2b61b34
- sha1: d95d7b439324930aac3b4d894a5994203138e0fb
- md5: 1baa55b57b141eeebe3633f39880d11d
- sha1: fc2da75bb2e57289331fd5ef2ee090730982d5da
- md5: 875cc7c0fea9c1cd31b6b10c1eaf9884
- sha1: 1a56873d25dc08eef981834498b2a5f6885d5e81
- md5: 051e52042deca4627f9ee340899cde24
- sha1: 62ef4f35f0bcc4c8242e472705d5d3fa74f333a9
Major new features
New integration of EFI management is now done. You will be able to boot using Live 64 or DVD64 (classical installer). Dual iso is not yet EFI compliant.
Other desktops choice has been removed from iso and installer as isos size is growing a lot. You can still install from public repositories.
Dual iso is now including non-free packages for network drivers so that it can be used everywhere to add remote media.
Improved RAID support
Support of RAID has been improved with dmraid/kpartx.
Broadwell HD graphics are now supported properly.
RPM has been updated to version 22.214.171.124.
RC comes with kernel 3.19.4
RC comes with systemd 217.8.
RC comes with perl 5.20.1.
Users account UIDs are now starting from 1000 instead of 500 previously. System users will be from 1 to 999. There may be some side effects for now that will be fixed before final release.
KDE 4.14.3 is now available in RC.
Qt 4.8.6 and 5.4.0. KF5/Plasma is also in the cauldron repositories, you can check the task-plasma5 metapackage.
GNOME environment is also provided. currently 3.14.3.
LXQt and LXDE
LXQt is the successor of RazorQt. It looks the similar but adds a lot of desktop features. Most of the applications come from LXDE and were ported to Qt. RazorQt has been obsoleted, and people will get LXQt after an upgrade to Mageia 5.
LXDE is still maintained upstream though most of the resources have migrated to LXQt, and we will continue to provide it in Mageia 5, in a refreshed version.
Mate Desktop 1.8.0 is available with RC.
Cinnamon is available in version 2.4.5.
RC comes with Libreoffice 126.96.36.199
- 0 A.D. Alpha 17 "Quercus"
- Flightgear has reached 3.2 version, with cloud shadows on the ground.
- Minetest 0.4.10
- Tales of Maj'Eyal 1.2.4
- UFO: Alien Invasion 2.5
- Valyria Tear 1.0
New in Mageia 5
- Lutris: Open gaming platform for Linux, which lets you install and manage your games in a unified interface.
- Vapor: Open gaming platform for games developed with the LÖVE framework.
- Stunt Rally 2.5
- Too many new packages to list them all, see the comparison page on Mageia App Db.
Sugar learning platform was updated to release 100. Just install the task-sugar metapackage to get everything.
Kdevelop now comes with collaborative editing.
Artwork and design
Most of the design is now integrated. We are missing still KDE splash which is in progress. Please check there is no side effect apart from the already known bugs (see errata)
See Errata page
- metasploit can be easily installed
- mate-character-map is deprecated by upstream. Instead one can use gucharmap
- mate-bluetooth is deprecated by upstream due to Bluez5 incompability. Instead one can use blueman
If not done yet, you can confirm or invalidate the currently reported (by the QA or other people) bugs: (see here )
You can find our bugzilla here, but please read the Errata before reporting any bugs. If you don't already have a Mageia account, you can create one on https://identity.mageia.org/. If you don't know, see how to report a bug.
Upgrading from Mageia 4
The ability to perform an automated upgrade from Mageia 4 is available, but may still need tweaking.
Upgrading online, using urpmi (CLI)
- Remove all of the existing media sources on your system by executing this command as root in terminal:
- urpmi.removemedia -a
- Add the Mageia online sources, either:
- Using the MIRRORLIST method (which will select a mirror automatically based on your geographical location):
- urpmi.addmedia --distrib --mirrorlist http://mirrors.mageia.org/api/mageia.cauldron.$ARCH.list
- (Where $ARCH is either i586 or x86_64)
- Using a specific media mirror:
- urpmi.addmedia --distrib <mirror_url>
- You can get the mirror_url using the Mageia mirrors web application
- Finally start upgrading:
- urpmi --replacefiles --auto-update --auto
- It's best to run the above command twice as in the first run some packages may be downloaded but not installed.
Using the Mageia 5 DVD to Upgrade
You can use the Mageia 5 DVD to do clean installs, but it can also be used to upgrade from previous releases.
- Download the ISO from the Mageia download page and burn it on a DVD, or dump it on a USB stick, for more details have a look at Available installation media article
- Boot the DVD and select "Install Mageia 5" from the GRUB (the bootloader) menu
- Select the upgrade option.
Also check our current bugs in the bugzilla.