Here is the second beta of Mageia 2 (due on March 15th). This is beta software. This means, it is NOT intended:
- for daily use,
- for any kind of production use,
- for writing reviews on the official Mageia 2 release.
It is a testing release for finding bugs, to look out for important missing packages, ond a platform for further development leading to our first official release planned in May. More info about Mageia 2 development.
- 1 Download it
- 2 Major new features
- 2.1 Installation
- 2.2 Base system
- 2.3 Graphical environments
- 2.4 Multimedia
- 2.5 Text Editors
- 2.6 Databases
- 2.7 Science
- 2.8 Server
- 2.9 Web
- 2.10 Development
- 2.11 Artwork and design
- 2.12 Games
- 2.13 Network & Internet
- 3 Known issues
- 4 Tests wanted!
- 5 Bug reporting
- 6 Planning
- 2 DVDs 32 and 64 bits
- 100% free software inside, classical installer
- 3 main graphical environments (KDE, GNOME, LXDE) - e17 has been added on isos for Beta1
- content will be added in coming releases depending on reports
- Dual Arch CD contains only a minimal list of packages
- 10 live CDs: how to choose the right one
- pick up your environment: KDE or GNOME
- pick up your language among 62 available
- pick up the right architecture: 32 or 64 bits (new for this release!) - all languages not available yet
- All live CDs isos:
Upload of live CDs isos is a bit delayed. Update of build iso tool (aka Draklive) is taking more time than planned because of dracut migration.
Major new features
Mageia 2 beta 2 ships with stable glibc 2.14.1.
Mageia 2 beta 2 currently ships with the latest prerelease of kernel 3.3-rc7, and the actual release will be shipped with 3.3.x. Amongst numerous bugfixes and features, the new kernel offers support for improved virtualisation with Xen native support, improved performance and a new subsystem such as a new iscsi stack or NFC, and better security with the Tomoyo framework.
Mageia 2 will default to dracut as tool for creating initrds (initial ramdisk, used during boot). We still provide mkinitrd for those that need that, but will only support it when used with initscripts. Users of systemd must use dracut.
systemd / initscripts
Following the standardisation effort going on in other distributions, Mageia has decided to adopt systemd for booting (instead of initscripts). This would lead to a simpler boot process, and easier maintenance. More details can be found on the systemd website. The option of keeping the current init system will be offered for people who have problems with systemd and prefer to wait a little and switch with a next release.
A pre-release version of PulseAudio 2.0 has been included in beta2. While this is late in the cycle the actual code changes to critical paths are limited. The primary reason for this inclusion is to take advantage of support in kernel 3.3 for headphone jack detection such that the correct audio path can be used for controlling output and adjusting volumes can be enabled automatically when appropriate. This has been a long standing bugbear and a very visible (well audible!) problem for users hence the strong desire to address this issue. Mageia 2 final will include PulseAudio 2.0 final unless any uncorrectable regressions are found in which case we will revert to the previous version for the release candidate release.
Cups printing system was updated to version 1.5.2. It still conflicts with usblp kernel module when detecting USB printers, so this module is disabled with the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-cups-common.conf. Some old proprietary drivers may need this module, so if you printer does not work you can 'modprobe usblp' as root.
The nomachine nx libraries for remote server applications are included in version 18.104.22.168 using the patched and redistributed version from the x2go project.
Mageia 2 beta2 ships with KDE 4.8.1 with the target of reaching 4.8.x for final release.
Using default Oxygen theme, the title bar of a window has the same colour as the rest of the window. This is meant to be that way. If you don't like that, choose System Settings / Workspace Appearance / Window Decorations / Configure Decoration. Then enable "Outline active window title" in the Fine Tuning tab
Mageia 2 beta2 ships with Gnome 3.3.x with the target of reaching 3.4.x for final release.
Now, shotwell replaces f-spot as the photo manager.
Mageia 2 beta2 comes with the most up to date LXDE packages.
Sugar 0.95 is avalaible. Installing task-sugar will bring all sugar packages.
In addition to the "big" desktop environments, Mageia 2 ships a wide asortment of window managers:
- the tiling wms
- enlightenment (e17)
- Pencil-Planner 0.4.4b: a traditional animation software
- Amarok music player 2.5
- Cantata music player 0.3.0
Mageia2 ships a variety of video players and video editing tools:
- kdenlive video editor 0.8.2.1
- mplayer (including the GUIs gnome-mplayer, kmplayer, mplayer-gui and smplayer)
- xine (including the GUIs kaffeine and xine-ui)
- acetoneiso 2.3: CD/DVD Image Manipulator
- kanyremote 5.13: KDE frontend for anyRemote Wireless remote control program
- kid3 2.0.1: ID3 Tagger
- konvertible 1.0.1: A simple KDE audio converter
- koverartist 0.7.6: Program for the fast creation of covers for cd/dvd cases and boxes
- marave 0.7: A text editor that helps you focus on writing
- Mageia 2 beta2 ships a pre-release of MariaDB 5.5 obsoleting MySQL with the target of reaching 5.5.x for final release (there is a helper package called mysql-MariaDB).
- innodb storage engine is replaced by XtraDB storage engine, but it's still called innodb internally, so your tuning parameters will still work.
- Federated storage engine is replaced by FederatedX storage engine, but it's still called federated internally, so your tuning parameters will still work.
- There are also some extra storage engines: feedback, pbxt, sphinx, oqgraph
- Mageia 2 beta2 ships three branches of postgresql for users convenience so the user won't be forced to upgrade his databases:
- geos 3.3.2
- gdal 1.9.0
- umn mapserver 6.0.1
- qgis 1.7.4
- postgis 1.5.3
- apache 2.2.22
- postfix 2.8.9
- drupal 7.12
- mediawiki 1.16.5
Compilers / Interpreters
The Gnu compiler collection ( gcc ) has been updated to the 4.6 branch, offering native support of Go, and improving support of the next c++ standard C++0x. Numerous optimisations have been added.
- gcc 4.6.3
- binutils 2.22
- python 2.7.2 and 3.2.2
- perl 5.14.2
- ruby 1.8.7
- rails 2.3.14
- php 5.3.10
- smarty 2.6.26 and 3.1.8
- java openjdk-22.214.171.124 and sun-126.96.36.199
- SBCL 1.0.55
- eclipse 3.7.1
- netbeans 7.0.1
- anjuta 3.3.91
- ninja-ide Python IDE 2.0
- bless hexadecimal editor 0.6
Artwork and design
Mageia 2 comes with all major open-source games. You can install them all with the meta-package task-games.
It also brings a very easy way to install the not open-source data for some games : it is downloaded at first launch.
- Pingus 0.7.6 with extra levels
- SuperTux 0.3.3
- SuperTuxKart 0.7.3 with online content
- dosbox 0.74
First Person Shooter games
- ioQuake3 1.36 game engine
The following games have non-redistributable data and will download it at first run:
- Quake III Arena demo (using ioquake3 engine)
- Smokin' Guns 1.0 (using ioquake3 engine)
- World of Padman 1.5 (using ioquake3 engine)
- Urban Terror 4.1.1 (using ioquake3 engine)
The following games have non free data and can be found on the nonfree repository:
- AssaultCube 188.8.131.52
- Sauerbraten 2010_07_28 Justice Edition
- urtsb 0.4: Game Server Browser for the FPS Urban Terror
- urtconnector 0.8: Advanced UrbanTerror launcher program
- OpenTTD 1.2.0
- Battle for Wesnoth 1.10
Network & Internet
- kvirc 4.1.3: IRC Chat client
- Claws mail
- x2goserver 184.108.40.206
- x2goclient 220.127.116.11
- pyhoca-gui 0.1.0.10
- nmapsi4 0.3: Complete Qt4-based Gui to provide a complete nmap interface
- kwooty 0.8.0: A friendly nzb Usenet binary downloader
See Errata page
This beta release should allow us to focus on following items:
- hardware detection
- boot process
- ISOs content, missing packages or firmwares (in the LiveCDs)
- default content for graphical environment (KDE, GNOME, LXDE)
- filtering out references to Mageia 1 and Mandriva (!)
For full testing procedures please find more information through the QA Team portal
TODO/ to check Beta 2 planning to release isos
|When||Targetting||What to be done|
|2012/03/08||local freeze of repository to start building isos||Check media consistency (deps, missing ; finalize major changes to be included in beta 2 isos (please add in list below in major new feature)|
|2012/03/08 to 2012/03/14||build and QA tests||link to QA page: who will do what and when, reports to release manager...|
|2012/03/14||prepare and write announcement for isos||spread news and ask for tests|
|2012/03/15||public release for beta2 isos||triage team ready to help and tag reports so that both packagers and testers can have proper feedbacks|